The Childhood Cancer Association has accommodation available to support country and interstate families who are required to travel to Adelaide to undergo treatment at the Women's & Children's Hospital.
Additionally, respite accommodation is available for member families who have a child with cancer or who have lost a child to cancer.
Michael Rice Units in Prospect
The Childhood Cancer Association provides accommodation to country and interstate families, whilst their child is undergoing treatment at the Women's and Children's Hospital in Adelaide.
The four Michael Rice Units are conveniently located close to the hospital in Prospect. Families are able to stay for as long as required whilst their child is undergoing medical treatment, or should they be required to travel to Adelaide for medical appointments related to their child’s cancer treatment.
Accommodation at the Michael Rice Units is arranged through the Social Work team at the Women's and Children's Hospital.
Michael Rice Units supported by:
Respite Accommodation at Bradley's Place
In 1991, Neil and Robyn Walker's son sadly died at the age of four from childhood cancer. Following Bradley's passing, the Walker's, along with their fundraising group (The Six State Challenge Team) decided to raise funds to build a respite home for the Childhood Cancer Association, known as 'Bradley's Place'. This means that children with cancer and their families now have a special place, a peaceful haven away from some of the stresses and demands that come with this life changing illness.
Bradley's Place at Lower Inman Valley was opened in 2004, and is perfectly located close to great beaches, Victor Harbor, Granite Island and Urimbirra Wildlife Park, and all in reasonable proximity to Adelaide.
Families who have a child with cancer, and families who have lost a child to cancer are welcome to stay at Bradley's Place throughout the year. *Some conditions do apply.
Features of Bradley's Place include:
- Three bedrooms including one queen size bed, two bunk beds with trundles (six single beds in total) and freestanding cot and port-a-cot. Linen not included.
- Games room.
- Playground (fully fenced).
- Outdoor entertaining area.
- Amenities include: central heating and cooling, washer, dryer, iron and full kitchen facilities.
- Call Direct System for immediate access to SA Ambulance.
While staying at Bradley’s Place, families receive vouchers to some of the local attractions, with thanks to generosity of the local community.
* Conditions: Bradley's Place is for current members and immediate family only. Each family can use the house for up to five years from your child's diagnosis or relapse date. Bereaved families are eligible to stay up to 10 years after their child has passed away. Renew your membership.
Further information & bookings
For further information about booking Bradley's Place, please contact the Family Service Team on (08) 8239 2211 or via the Contact Us page.
Bradley's Place supported by: